Chelsea and I enjoy berry desserts that can be eaten with ice cream and miss them during winter when fresh berries aren’t in season. This past summer I picked a few different kinds of berries and individually quick froze (IQF) them to use for winter baking and smoothies. This vegan recipe turns out excellently and is quite delicious with normal ice cream or coconut ice cream.
Recipe (adapted from Skinnyluscious):
Time: 15 mins prep, 45-50 cooking time
Oven temp: 350 F
- 4 1/2 cups frozen fruit and berries (peaches and blueberries go especially well together)
- Juice from 1 lemon (or bottled equivalent)
- 1/4 cup agave
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts (we like slivered almonds)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter (we use Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Use a 8×8 or 9×9 ungreased baking dish.
- Mix filling ingredients in a medium bowl and place in baking dish.
- Mix topping ingredients and blend with fingers. The topping should be crumbly and have the texture of wet sand.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit mixture and distribute evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned.
- Serve with ice cream and enjoy!