My family really enjoys picking blueberries down the street from our house at the U-pick farm. When we get home, the first thing that I want to make is blueberry küchen. The crust is crumbly and slightly tart from the vinegar while the berries cook down into a delicious jam like consistency. This is a favorite of every member of my family at home at my friends at school. It is especially good served slightly warm with ice cream on the side!
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, slightly softened
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 cups blueberries, divided (3 cups for the inside, 2 cups for the top)
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (a little extra is good too!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Mix 1 cup flour, salt, and 2 Tbs sugar. Cut in butter until the particles resemble coarse crumbs.
3. Sprinkle with vinegar and shape into dough with fingers (work quickly, the butter melts). Press into loose bottom (spring form pan) 9-inch layer cake pan about 1/4 inch thick on the bottom, less thick and 1 inch high around sides.
4. Add three cups blueberries.
5. Mix remaining 2 Tbs flour with 2/3 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle over blueberries evenly.
6. Bake on lowest rack in preheated 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until crust is well browned and filling bubbles.
7. Remove from oven to rack. Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups blueberries. Cool.
8. Remove rim of pan before cutting.